Perfect Tabbouleh Salad
Ok I am fairly sure there is no such thing as the Perfect Tabbouleh Salad, everyone has a different take on what makes the Perfect Tabbouleh Salad, this is our goto version of this classic middle eastern side dish.
Some people add spice mix's, I have seen people add tahini or paprika paste, all are valid and I am sure all are delicious, whatever your preference tabbouleh has become a global dish that can be seen at just about every barbecue in the world.
Traditional Tabbouleh has more parsley than any other ingredient we tend to tone it down a little but it is still all about the herbs.
The herbs must be as fresh as you can manage, try farmers markets rather than supermarkets and even better try growing your own, it's so easy and so much cheaper.
Ingredients: Perfect Tabbouleh Salad
- 1Cup of bulgar wheat (use a mug)
- 1 & 1/2 Cups of veg stock (same mug)
- Large bunch flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 bunch mint
- 1 Large tomato
- 2 Spring onions
- 1/3 Cucumber
- Lemon juice
- Olive oil
- In a pan place the bulgar wheat and stock cook on a low heat until most of the stock is absorbed, turn off the heat and cover.
- De-seed tomatoes and cucumber, chop into small dice
- Roughly chop both the spring onions, mint and parsley
- With a fork fluff up the bulgar and transfer to a bowl
- Add all the other ingredients and mix throughly
As i mentioned earlier this Perfect Tabbouleh Salad is great at any barbecue we also serve it with falafels, or as part of a turkish meze style meal with hummus, flat breads, stuffed vine leaves and other salads .
We find this method produces a light and fluffy tabbouleh as opposed to the packet instructions to boil it for goodness knows how long, which results in a rather wet gloop.