Vegan Sweet Sour Tempeh Balls
This weeks Friday night takeaway is vegan sweet sour tempeh balls & was inspired by last weeks vegan special egg fried rice, we seem to be on a chinese flavour trip at the moment.
I have to say this recipe surpassed expectations with a delicious crispy batter and deeply savoury tempeh centre these are sure to delight everyone.
Tempeh is one of those super versatile ingredients that every vegan should try, grab some from the freezer department of your local whole food shop.
The sweet and sour sauce is one we have used over the years it's pretty standard but goes really well with Vegan Sweet Sour Tempeh Balls, we served it with vegan egg fried rice, recipe is also listed here and on yummly.
ingredients: Vegan Sweet Sour Tempeh Balls
- Block of Tempeh
- 1 Inch piece ginger
- 1 Clove garlic
- Chili flakes
- Soy sauce
- Sparkling water
- Plain flour
- 100 ml Water
- 50 ml Cider Vinegar
- 50 ml Pineapple Juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Corn flour mixed with water
Method: Tempeh Balls
- Cut tempeh into small cubes, steam for 20 mins
- Pulse tempeh in a food processor or crumble by hand
- Grate ginger and garlic into the mix and add chilli flakes, soy sauce to taste
- Form small balls of the tempeh mixture and set aside in the fridge
- In a bowl pour some sparkling water and slowly add flour until you have a batter the consistency of single cream
- Dip tempeh balls into the batter and carefully drop into hot oil fry until golden and crisp
Method: Sweet & Sour Sauce
- Heat water, vinegar and pineapple juice
- Dissolve sugar
- Stir in tomato ketchup
- Mix cornflour with a little bit of water and add to pan
- Bring to boil until sauce has thickened
We are thinking of making a feature of friday night takeaway recipes, this one has been fun and is totally delicious.